School aged services
Communicate provides an extensive range of services for children, families and schools staff
“In the UK, over 1 million children and young people, that’s 2-3 in every classroom, have some form of long term and persistent speech, language and communication difficulty. This can affect them early, severely and for life.” (RCSLT, 2011)
Communicate takes a Community wide approach to working with children and young people of this age.
Working with children
- Assessments and recommendations
- 1:1 and small group intervention
- Programmes and target setting
- Working with teaching staff to develop, deliver and monitor SLC groups.
Working with families
- Communication groups for families and children
- Practical workshops for parents and carers from Hanen or designed locally around the needs of children and their families
- Appropriate and timely information delivered in the most accessible way.
Working with school staff
- In-setting support to embed good practice in the classroom
- Support for practitioners in early identification and referral pathways
- EYFS training, for example, Hanen, Elklan, ICAN Talk Boost and bespoke
- Key stage 1-4, for example, Elklan and bespoke
- Whole school accreditation mentoring.
Measuring impact and outcomes
- We have robust systems for demonstrating positive outcomes for children, families and practitioners.
What service users say…
For more information about the team and the speech and language services we provide to children, their families, teaching staff and schools please contact:
Caroline Coyne, Specialist Speech and Language Therapist