Elklan Speech & Language Support for 5-11s
For those working with children aged 5-11 years, providing information and practical strategies to support children’s learning in the classroom and in small group activities.
Elklan Speech and Language Support for 5-11’s is a practical training course designed for teachers and learning support staff to help develop all children’s speech, language and communication skills with a particular focus on those children who have specific needs in this area. Teaching is delivered via 10, 2 hour modules each focusing on a particular topic. Learners are then asked to go and apply the strategies and techniques they have learnt in their own classroom and they compile an online portfolio of evidence based on the classroom tasks and their reflective learning. Learners who complete the portfolio will be able to gain a Level 2 or Level 3 accredited qualification.
- What is Communication?
- Understanding non-verbal Communication
- Developing Listening and Attention Skills
- Developing memory and independent learning
- Modifying Adults speech to help a child understand language
- Understanding beyond simple sentence
- Promoting vocabulary development
- Encouraging expressive language development and story telling skills
- Promoting effective communication and social skills
- Supporting children with unclear speech
- Exploring the link between speech, reading and writing
- Management of stammering
The course runs over three days on the following dates, learners must attend all three days:
- Friday 22nd April 9am – 4.15pm
- Friday 27th May 9am – 4.15pm
- Friday 1st July 9am – 4.15pm
All sessions will be held at Mereside Primary School in Blackpool and will be delivered by Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, Claire Watson.
The cost per participant is £295 and includes a copy of the Language Builders book and accreditation fees for each learner.
For bookings please contact:
or phone 01263 462123
To find out more about Elklan, visit: