Training and Development
Speech, Language and Communication are foundation life skills which enable children to make friends, learn and thrive. Yet often, the people who support children and young people feel under-informed and under-confident in supporting communication skills.
Communicate’s bespoke and accredited training programmes promote good practice in the environment where the young people live and learn.
“It is important to be able to identify the diverse needs of children and young people with SLCN and to provide appropriate support for them to interact socially, to participate fully in education and to lead safe, healthy lives.”
(Bercow Report, 2008)
“Helping children develop communication skills is one of the most important things you can do. That’s because the ability to communicate underpins just about every aspect of a child’s development.”
(Why Chatter Matters)
In a YouGov poll, undertaken by The Communication Trust, of 349 teachers found that only 27% had received training around Speech, Language and Communication and 81% felt they would benefit from more training on this issue.
(The Communication Trust, 2009)
Communicate is experienced in providing a range of Speech, Language and Communication focussed training, accreditations and in-setting support. Our sessions have traditionally been face-to-face, although we have recently begun offering online workshops using Zoom, which have been highly successful.
To find out more about specific training or book a place, click on the 'Book or Enquire' link below.
What service users say:
“Excellent training delivered by an expert in the field.”
“Lots of opportunities to ask questions.”
“The whole course was well delivered, broken down into segments to help me learn and feel confident – which I now do.”
“First time I’ve done an online course – really well delivered – resources were available too.”
For more information about the Communicate Team and the Speech and Language services we provide please contact: Caroline Coyne, Director and Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
- Hanen Teacher Talk - Strategies that support an inclusive language learning environment in 3 separate modules:
A. Encouraging Language Development
B. Let Language Lead the Way to Literacy
C. Fostering Peer Interaction
- Learning Language and Loving It® - The Hanen Program® for Early Childhood Educators
- I CAN Early Talk series of Training and Accreditation - Early Years 0-5's
- I CAN Talk Boost Series - Early Talk Boost and Key Stage 1
- I CAN Talk about Talk Secondary – Helps students aged 14 to 18 with poor communication skills be ready for the workplace
- Elklan Communication Friendly Settings Status - Early Years, Primary, Secondary or Special Schools
- Elklan Speech and Language Support Courses - For 0-3's, 3-5's, 5-11's, 11-16's
- Nuffield Early Language Intervention Programme (NELI)
- The Early Years Professional Development Programme
Communicate SLT Workshops
- Communication Champions Workshops
- Hanen refresher 'Keeping Skills Sharp'
- Supporting SLC in your setting / Early Years / Primary / Secondary
- Understanding questions and the blank level scheme
- Supporting vocabulary development
- An Introduction to Supporting Children’s Narrative Skills
- Supporting speech sound development
- Supporting children and families with English as an additional language
- Creating communication friendly environments
- An Introduction to Using Visuals to Support Understanding and Spoken Communication
- Introduction to Signalong Virtual Workshops
- Selective Mutism
- An Introduction to Colourful Semantics
- An Introduction to Using Lego to build social interaction and communication skills
- An Introduction to Autism
- An Introduction to Sensory needs
- Demand Avoidance Profile
- Signalong Foundation Course